What You Need to Know About Breast Illness and Implant Removal With Michael Giuffrida, MD.

As a plastic surgeon, Dr. Michael Giuffrida boasts an impressive twenty-year track record of performing successful augmentation, implant removal, breast correction, and other cosmetic surgeries.

According to a 2019 statistical report released by the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, roughly 400,000 women opt to get breast implants per year. While the reasons vary from a simple aesthetic desire to reconstruction due to a mastectomy, just about 90% are satisfied with their results – that’s no small feat! Breast augmentation is a life-changing procedure, so feeling satisfied after your surgery is kind of a big deal. However, what about the remaining 10%? 

Often, feeling unhappy about breast enlargement boils down to complications well after the fact. If you’re interested in increasing your cup size, you may have come across personal stories shared on social media discussing the effects of breast implant illness or BII. Accompanied by pain, persistent swelling, deflation, extreme fatigue, and a myriad of other symptoms, BII can have a severe negative impact on your day-to-day life.

Should I Remove My Breast Implants?

While BII can be debilitating, the odds of developing this issue are not that high and if you’re on the fence about getting implants or already have implants, this information isn’t meant to discourage you. Actually, The FDA and other health authorities are currently not recommending the removal of any implant types in women not experiencing symptoms.

That being said, if you notice any abnormalities associated with your breast implants, seeking the opinion of a board-certified plastic surgeon is essential to your health and well-being. Moreover, even if you aren’t having any issues, going in for a checkup at least every 10 years can ensure the long-term quality of your implants. Abnormalities or not, only a professional with years of experience in breast augmentation surgery can provide you with the guidance necessary to deal with BII or prevent it from occurring in the first place.

Unfortunately, the sad truth about breast surgery is that 48 states currently allow doctors to perform plastic surgery procedures without accreditation by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, or ABPS. This makes most procedures unnecessarily risky and increases the chances of developing breast illness complications further down the line.

Breast Implant Removal, The Safe Way

Addressing breast implant illness and determining whether or not implant removal is necessary is best left to the professionals. As a plastic surgeon, Dr. Michael Giuffrida boasts an impressive twenty-year track record of performing successful augmentation, implant removal, breast correction, and other cosmetic surgeries. He is board-certified with the ABPS, an active member of both the ASAPS (American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery) and the ASPS (American Society of Plastic Surgeons), and a valued member of our team here at Turner Medical Arts.

Safety and a beautiful outcome are essential, no one understands this more than Dr. Giuffrida. If you’ve had breast implant surgery and are now struggling with strange, unexplained symptoms, you may be suffering from BII. We urge you to contact our Santa Barbara center today to come to a proper diagnosis and allow Dr. Giuffrida to help you feel better again.


Request an Appointment

Turner Medical Arts offers anti-aging and surgical care you can count on. Fill out the form or call (805) 962-1957 to request an appointment.

©2020 Turner Medical Arts | Website by Urge Interactive

Search

We're happy to answer any questions you may have, feel free to call us at
(805) 962-1957