Vaginal atrophy, also known as atrophic vaginitis, is a condition characterized by the thinning, drying, and inflammation of the vaginal walls due to decreased estrogen production. Usually occurring after menopause, vaginal atrophy not only makes intercourse painful but can also lead to incontinence. This can have a terrible effect on one’s love life and general comfort. If you are struggling with this condition, Turner Medical Arts is here to provide you with the treatment and care you seek. Our dedicated doctors and staff are happy to provide you with a range of treatments to help restore your comfort and happiness.
Why Does Vaginal Atrophy Occur?
Vaginal atrophy happens when our estrogen production declines. Less estrogen makes your vaginal tissues thinner, drier, less elastic. As mentioned, a decline in estrogen is usually due to menopause. However, estrogen decline can also happen due to surgical removal of both ovaries, pelvic radiation therapy for cancer, and the intake of certain medications. Women who smoke, who have never had vaginal births, and that have not had intercourse are also at risk of developing vaginal atrophy. If you think you may be dealing with this condition, several tests including a pelvic exam and a urine test can be performed to get a firm diagnosis.
Treatment Options Offered
Treating vaginal atrophy involves addressing both estrogen loss and facilitating better function overall. Dr. Turner has 40 years of experience addressing women’s health issues. His expertise and caring nature can provide you with the treatments you seek. The options offered at Turner Medical Arts are listed below. For more information, we invite you to request an appointment.
The treatments we offer include:
- GYN Surgery – We provide a number of surgical options for tackling vaginal issues and restoring both function and sensation.
- Hormone Replacement Therapy – Estrogen regulation through hormone replacement therapy has been shown to be an effective solution to tackling issues that arise from vaginal atrophy.
- MonaLisa Touch – This device uses fractional laser technology to ablate small micro-columns of tissue and improve vaginal function through natural regeneration.
- ThermiVa Vaginal Rejuvenation – This treatment can tighten vaginal tissues after childbirth, menopause, or due to age-related collagen loss, thereby improving both tightness and function.
- Vampire Wing Lift – This treatment uses personal growth factors to naturally restore and repair vaginal tissue by promoting collagen production.
- Viveve Female Rejuvenation – This treatment provides incontinence relief by remodeling tissue in addition to enhancing the firmness of the vaginal wall.
Vaginal Atrophy Treatments in Santa Barbara, California
Vaginal atrophy can severely diminish one’s quality of life and pleasure. If you’re struggling with this issue, we’re here to help. Our dedicated staff can help you improve your vaginal function and restore your confidence. For more information about our services, please request an appointment by calling (805) 962-1957 or filling out the form below. We look forward to your visit!